Agnethe Pedersdatter Family -- Biri, Oppland

For etterlysninger som ikke kan plasseres på ett av undernivåene

Moderator: MOD_Oppland

Svar
gj20195
Sted: United States of Ame

Agnethe Pedersdatter Family -- Biri, Oppland

Legg inn av gj20195 » 19. september 2013 kl. 0.02

I am looking for any possible bygdebøk information on the family of Agnethe Pedersdatter who came to the U.S. in 1847 and settled in Coon Valley, Wisconsin. I do have a passenger list for Agnethe Pedersdatter, 29-1/2 years old, from Biri, traveling to America in March of 1847. From what I can tell, she was traveling alone, but some newspaper articles seem to indicate that her father also came to America.

In 1848, Agnethe married Helge Gulbrandsen, b. 29 Sept 1823 (Sigdal, Buskerud, Norway). Helge Gulbrandsen had come to America in 1841 with his father Gulbrand Gulbrandsen, mother Mari Helgesdatter, and siblings. I have passenger lists showing their emigration.

A series of articles in a LaCrosse, Wisconsin newspaper talk about the families who immigrated to Coon Valley, Wisconsin. In one article, it mentions Agnethe Pedersdatter’s father, as Per Snekkerhaugen, but that name does not match what I have found and I cannot find proof that her father came to the U.S. The cemetery where she is buried in Wisconsin has confirmed that she was born 06 Sept 1817 . This matches Agnethe Pedersdatter born to Peder Evensen Krageberg and Beret Larsdatter of Biri.

I was wondering if there might be some information in the bygdebøk on Peder Evensen Krageberg from Biri in Oppland telling whether he (and his wife and other children) also came to the U.S.

Thank you very much!

gj08391
Sted: GRINDER

Re: Agnethe Pedersdatter Family -- Biri, Oppland

Legg inn av gj08391 » 19. september 2013 kl. 6.12

gj17048
Sted: LEINSTRAND

Legg inn av gj17048 » 19. september 2013 kl. 11.13

Hi!

The bygdebok for Biri does not mention people who lived under each farm. When it comes to writing about people, it just has stories about particular people from the area together with anecdotes on everyday life.

But you mention that Agnethe's father is mentioned as "Per Snekkerhaugen". In Norway at the time, the names Per and Peder was used as the one and same name. "Snekkerhaugen" translates into carpenter-hill, and it could very well be Agnethe's father that has been named by the place he lived.

In the 1865 census there is a Berthe Larsdatter living at Snedkerhougen (Snekkerhaugen), listed as a widow.

http://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/ft ... 8066005983

The bygdebok mentions that most people who emigrated from Biri went to Coon Praire/Valley, and that about 1868 more than 1000 emigrated from Biri. Unfortunately, there are no entries for emigrants in the churchbooks for that period of time.

Mvh Bente

gj20195

Legg inn av gj20195 » 19. september 2013 kl. 23.52

Thank you. That is the record that I had found, which looks like Agnethe Pedersdatter is traveling alone.

I appreciate your help!
Charmaine

gj20195

Legg inn av gj20195 » 19. september 2013 kl. 23.55

The information your provided about the bygdebøk is very important to know. Thank you for that.

In addition, the 1865 census record gives me something to look at to see if I can find the husband's death record or passenger list.

Your time and help is very much appreciated!

Thank you!
Charmaine

Sted: SKJETTEN
Kontakt:

Legg inn av 6878 » 20. september 2013 kl. 23.46

Volume 3 of the bygdebok for Biri does mention users/owners of farms, but in most cases only those at the "main" farms, in most cases not the smaller farms or cottar farms.

There are at least two cottar farms Snekkerhaugen in Biri, under the main farms Krageberg and Nordre Lunden.

There is a book called "Utvandringen til Amerika", author Halvard Oudenstad, published 1981, that list almost all emigrants from Biri.

On page 115 in that book her father is called "Peder Eriksen" but that is (most likely) incorret, should be Peder Evensen that died 7 feb 1829 at Kragebergeie (this is most likely the same place as Snekkerhaugen) 56 years old. Agnete baptised 14 sep 1817 at Kragebergeie, born 6 sep, parents Peder Evensen and Beret Larsdatter. The book refers to information from Hjalmar R. Holand stating that Agnete came to Muskego settlement in Wisc. in 1847 - TOGETHER WITH HER FATHER (most likely not correct). She married Helge Gulbrandsen Skare from Sigdal. They moved to Bad Ax township (Crawford county, Coon Valley) in 1949. Three daughters Mary, Berthe and Pauline.

A place to look for info about Biri is http://www.slektshistorielaget.no - lots of transcribed material.

The parents were most likely married during the period 1779-1813 when the parish records for Biri are burned - but they could IN THEORY be from outside Biri.

The parents are here in the 1801 census http://digitalarkivet.uib.no/cgi-win/we ... k=613#ovre

Kontakt:

Legg inn av 6878 » 21. september 2013 kl. 0.19

A good candidate for Berte Larsdatter is baptised 4 april 1776, parents Lars Eriksen and Dorte Larsdatter at Skjønsby in Biri - cf Lars Eriksen in 1801.

Kontakt:

Legg inn av 6878 » 21. september 2013 kl. 0.52

A candidate for Peder Evensen is baptised 20 feb 1774, parents Even Hansen and Anne Tostensdatter at Klomsteineie ( a cottars farm at the main farm Klomstein). This is in the same area as Skjønsby and Krageberg - but he could also be from outside Biri.

Note the ending "eie" which indicates a cottars farm. It can be any of possibly several cottar farms at the main farm. In most cases the cottars farm also had a distinct name, cf Snekkerhaugen, which was more commonly used than xxx...eie. Unfortunately the parish records often use ...eie.

gj20195

Legg inn av gj20195 » 21. september 2013 kl. 6.26

Thank you SO much! I cannot explain my reaction when I read that there was a Snekkerhaugen farm at Kragebergeie.

I had the same information you had for Peder Evensen's birth and his parents, as well as the information for Berte Larsdatter, her parents, and the 1801 census. I was afraid to go any further with the lines because the article in the newspaper stated that Agnete Pedersdatter's father Per Snekkerhaugen came to the U.S. with her and I could not find anything to prove that (census in U.S. or passenger lists). I requested the book from the library that the articles came from (Hjalmer R. Holand's book) to see if there was something else about the family. I looked at the 1850 U.S. census and found Agnete Pedersdatter and Helge Gulbrandsen, but no Per/Peder.

Thank you, again, for explaining how the bygdebøk was organized for Biri and for checking it for cottar farm names. That information is very, very helpful.

Svar

Gå tilbake til «Oppland - ukjent sted»