Sigrid Mikkelsdotter Grytbakk

Moderator: MOD_Møre_og_Romsdal

Svar
gj10647

Sigrid Mikkelsdotter Grytbakk

Legg inn av gj10647 » 20. desember 2016 kl. 21.53

Looking for the meaning of two words related to this area: Jordtaus and Jordkar. I have not been able to find their meaning in any of the dictionaries that I have. This dates back to the 1700s.

Thank you very much for your help.

Solveig Schavland

Tore Kristiansen
Sted: KRISTIANSUND N

Re: Sigrid Mikkelsdotter Grytbakk

Legg inn av Tore Kristiansen » 21. desember 2016 kl. 0.14

Jordtaus was the daughter that inherited the farm or took over the farm with her husband.

taus is girl. Also written tøs. In Rindal often pronounced tæs I think.

Jordkar was the son that took over the farm. Mostly the oldest one.

Those words are not unheard of today as well. But I think mostly older people speak like that today, or genealogists... :D
:) Tore

gj10647

Legg inn av gj10647 » 21. desember 2016 kl. 17.18

Tusen takk!

Solveig Schavland

gj10647

Legg inn av gj10647 » 21. desember 2016 kl. 17.51

I have another word that I am trying to decipher = Lintjønn (han ha lagt tri kornsekker i bløyt i ei lintjønn omlag 300 meter frå garden). My understanding is that tjønn is a lake/pond and lin is flax...

Lots of old terms that I have not heard before and are not in the Einar Haugen dictionary.

Thank you so very much for all your help.

Solveig Schavland

Tore Kristiansen

Legg inn av Tore Kristiansen » 21. desember 2016 kl. 18.30

Never heard that before, but it was probably a pond that they used to soak the flax.

gj10647

Legg inn av gj10647 » 22. desember 2016 kl. 18.52

Lots of very old terms in the Rindal bygdebok...the information about the Almberg farm goes back to the 1660s. Words like skoff, bekkjasekla, fæe and etc. Languages change over time, not easy!

Tusen takk!

Solveig

Tore Kristiansen

Legg inn av Tore Kristiansen » 22. desember 2016 kl. 19.22

hehe, Hyldbakk used a lot of dialect words. :)

I understand bekkjasekkle. That is a small stream.

gj10647

Legg inn av gj10647 » 22. desember 2016 kl. 22.34

We need a dictionary with these old terms. The one I have is by Einar Haugen and is used at the University Of Wisconsin, it is good but still very much lacking...

Maybe DIS could get such a dictionary together - getting old words/terms from all of Norway. What do you think? Good project, no?

Solveig Schavland

Tore Kristiansen

Legg inn av Tore Kristiansen » 23. desember 2016 kl. 0.42

A glossary with dialect words or old forms of words in the different bygdebooks, could be a project, yes. But it could be massive.

Some examples:
A professor of dialects at the University in Trondheim, said in a radio programme this autumn, that as a little boy he was a bit annoyed of what his mother called something. I don't remember what it was, but she, who was from Øksendal, had a different word than her husband and son who both was brought up in Sunndal. Today Øksendal and Sunndal is the same municipality.

Also a genealogists from Sunndal told me several years ago, how his mother misunderstood which field on the farm the family should be working on that day. Because she, who was from a neighboring parish, had a different word for that kind of field. She thought that they should be working in a different field in the opposite direction.

For instance it is a quite clear difference in Nordmøre between ekker and åker. That is a field. An ekker is a field with grass. An åker is also a field with grass, but it is a new one. Maximum a year old.
But the word åker is a norwegian word in the dictionary. In norwegian wikipedia they have an explanation for åker that I don't agree with. But that article is probably written by someone from eastern Norway.

I wonder how many norwegians understand the word bekkjasekkle today. :D

Well, thank you for reminding me of the language, and especially the word bekkjasekkle, that Hyldbakk used in the Rindal books. Now I have a story to tell the family at the christmas table :)

Tore Kristiansen

Legg inn av Tore Kristiansen » 23. desember 2016 kl. 11.21

Sorry, I was carried away with all these dialectic words. I find them quite interesting :)

But it should be possible to make a dictionary of dialect words in Hyldbakk's books. That's not that much of a difficult task, I think.

Where did you find bekkjasekkla in the Rindal books?

Brukeravatar
Paul Johan Hals

Legg inn av Paul Johan Hals » 23. desember 2016 kl. 12.35

Where I live, in the nothern part of Norway, we would use another Word. We would say siklebekk or bekkesik.

A dictionary would be nice, but I am afraid we need to have one for each area.

Anyway, I wish all of you a merry Christmas. :D

Sincerely

Paul (from Vesterålen)

gj10647

Legg inn av gj10647 » 27. desember 2016 kl. 21.57

check out Almberg page 422 - 423, and Oppigard page 424 thru Nordvoll Ytre page 450. Very interesting but also difficult.

Solveig Schavland

Svar

Gå tilbake til «Rindal»